Thursday, January 3, 2008

To the bitter end!

"Some Malaysians can be said to be 'holier than thou'. This means they are all ulama. So, I think if I continue to hold positions in the party or Government, this will be a burden to the Government and party, especially in the context of Islam Hadhari."
-- Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek, who resigned from all government and political positions over the recent sex video scandal. "‘People wanted me to quit’," TheStar, January 3, 2008.

(I have always liked this man. His Malay is impeccable. He has a strong track record and he tends to make sense when he speak. However, if I read what he said above correctly, he seems to be disparaging Islam Hadhari when he juxtaposed that term with ulama and "holier than thou". Maybe I shouldn't be reading too much into the words of a frustrated man?)

No comments: